Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Mule


Giant
step for me yesterday.
About a year ago I learned that I have bone degeneration in my back. At times it can be very painful, and although I have always been able to do just about anything that I physically wanted to, this past year has been quite a wake up call for me. To make a long story short, I haven't had the strength or the courage to get on my mule in almost 11 months. I've missed it more than words can describe.
Yesterday, I was puttering around in the yard, and as usual my back began to hurt a bit. Now I sometimes slow down or totally quit what I'm doing, and rest the back for awhile. Then, if I feel better, I go on with what I need to get done. Not yesterday. Yesterday, as my back pain eased, I decided that it was time that the mule and I had a little exercise...together. Not just the round pen for her and not just weeding or garden work for me. I got the brushes out. Nothing different about that, but you should have seen her eyes when, low and behold, out came the dusty saddle and blanket. She remembered exactly what they were for, and if ever eyes talked, boy did her eyes shout happy, happy, happy! I think maybe she thought that we would never do the "riding thing" again. I think that she actually misses it more than I do!
Wednesday's ride was a step by step experiment to see just how much exercise we could both endure. Well, I'm happy to say that we haven't lost it! We (emphasis on we) had a great time, even though it didn't last very long. As I mentioned to a friend and fellow blogger recently, 'it's the process and not the end product that should keep you happy". If you rely too much on the end result for gratification, then what do you do after that? Now I'm hopeful that this is just the beginning of a whole new process and something to look forward to.
Can you see Polly smiling?


10 comments:

  1. I can definately see Polly smiling but I bet your smile was bigger than hers. If I grab a halter and head for the gate calling my Rosie mule she comes running and sticks her head into the halter. She looooooves to ride. I rode yesterday with a friend who lost her husband in February (she's 72). I ride her mule "County Fair" and she rides her deceased husband's mule "Jenny". Both are aged mules and tons of fun. I just don't know what I'd do without my mules. This fall I will go from 11 year old Rosie to 3 year old "Greystone's Crystal Angel" otherwise know as "Angel". She is at the trainer right now and I am at my height of fear!!! We'll see how this goes. We raised Angel so I think that will make a big difference. It's not the fall that hurts - it's the sudden stop at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smile smile smile!
    This made me grin from ear to ear.
    Polly is a wonder isn't she?
    Not many equine can wait 11 months and then just get saddled and go.
    But I know quite a few mules who can [no offense to anyone please...my old mare took a 5 yr vacation and rode like a champ!]
    I am so excited and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ and Polly, I am so happy for you!
    Polly really smiles and she is so proud to be able to carry the saddle on her back again.
    ( By the way, this is still my all times favorite saddle!!! )
    Great job MJ!
    I bet you forgot all about your back when you sat on her, right?!?

    HUG

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should consider sending this story to a magazine of some sort, along with the pictures. It was a fabulous read. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polly looks very happy and you should be too. It is the journey and not the destination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you fro posting pn petfinder where I found my rescue sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see Polly smiling and even more, I can *hear* you smiling! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! What a wonderful story... I could not help but smile... a great little post indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha very interesting! I think Polly is smiling!
    purrs and love
    Luna(from Brazil)

    ReplyDelete